A Foundation Representative is an officer elected by the local church to serve as a connection between the United Methodist Foundation and the church. They are nominated by the Lay Leadership Committee of the local church and approved by the Charge Conference. One Foundation Representative is elected per charge.
It isn’t necessary to have a background in finance or to have a previous connection to the Foundation to serve in this role. The only gift necessary is a heart for the connectional church and for local ministry. We’ll help with all the rest.
- Provide contact information to the Foundation to enable communication.
- Explore ways to promote the ministry of the Foundation at the local church.
- Report to the local Administrative Council (or equivalent) regarding Foundation activities and opportunities for education and ministry.
- Request brochures, DVDs, or other communication material from the Foundation as needed in the local church.
- Facilitate the observance of Foundation Sunday at the local church level.
- Contact the Foundation to request presentations at the local church level regarding the ministry of the Foundation or planned giving (estate planning) as needed by the church.
- Communicate opportunities and encourage local church members to attend district or regional Foundation presentations.
Foundation Representatives can learn more about the Foundation by reviewing the material we provide and by attending local or district/regional Foundation training events. It is also helpful to become familiar with the United Methodist Disciplinary statements regarding United Methodist Foundations and Socially Responsible Investing. Ask questions and get to know us. We are here to help.Resources
If you are a Foundation Representative, there are several online resources that can help you to learn about your new role and to understand the ministry of the Foundation.
- Browse the website -- on it you will find an overview of the Foundation's ministry with individuals, churches and agencies.
- Visit our Video Resource page and watch our two videos.
- Download resources that interest you at our Downloadable Resources page. You may especially want to read the brochure specifically written for Foundation Representatives.
- Like us on Facebook for up-to-the-minute updates on the Foundation's ministry (www.facebook.com/umfwv).